Thread: Unable to print test page using HP LJ 1007

Question Unable to print test page using HP LJ 1007

Hello all,

Recently I am facing a issue that I cannot print. I have Windows XP operating system. I installed the printer HP LJ 1007 on Windows XP desktop and was able to successfully print the test page as well as print other documents.

Few days back I noticed that I was not able to print even the test page. The only change I made was, I moved virtual memory page size from my C drive to H drive which had ample disk space. H drive is on secondary hard disk where C drive is on primary hard disk. My operating system is installed on C drive. Does that change caused the printer not to print?

I tried the falling.
    1. I uninstalled the driver using the HP cd.
    2. Restarted my machine.
    3. Installed the driver from the HP Cd.

Still I am not able to print the test page. The Printer doesnt show up the red icon (which indicates a pending job). I dont see any error pop-up. Also the printer is not jammed. The only thing that happens when I click the Test page is the print symbol appears in the system tray and vanishes immediately without printing. I restored the original values of virtual memory page size but still couldnt get rid of the problem.

I had setup this printer on different Windows XP machine and I was able to print the test page.

I contacted my local hardware person. He did the same thing which I tried of
    reinstallation of driver however the problem didnt resolved. Instead he
    recommended me to reinstall windows XP. I dont know whether reinstallation would really solve the issue or not. However I cannot reinstall OS since I had already installed other applications on it.

Can anyone suggest me any alternative which, I might be missing out ? I preferably want to differ reinstallation of OS.

Waiting for your replies.

Thanks
    Rohit.

You might try downloading a driver from HP.com instead of using the CD driver, there might be an updated driver posted online ...

Also, I assume you've tried rebooting the PC after a printer "uninstall"?

Also, if you open up Control Panel --> Printers & Faxes, and then double-click on your printer, it will open up a window where you can watch your active print jobs ... if you send it a real print job from Word or similar, (don't worry about the "test page", just send it a real job) ... what happens to the job as you watch it in the window... does the print job just disappear?

I assume you're hooking this up through USB ... for the fresh install you might try a different USB outlet ... sometimes Windows is a little wonky with "recognizing" what is plugged into a certain USB outlet...