Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP 4650 3 printers same problem CPR sensor out of range

Default HP 4650 3 printers same problem CPR sensor out of range

I have 3 HP 4650 color laserjet printers that now have the same problem. On the event log, the error shows 54.11, then 54.OF, then 54.10 - all "CPR Sensor out of range" and my black print is misaligned with the colors. how can this be with all 3 and how can I fix them??? HELP!!

The errors that you are getting refer to the yellow drum phase sensor.
    That's the 54.10.

The 54.11 says replace the black cartridge.

Are you using HP toner?

Pick one of the printers, pull out the JetDirect and do a Cold Reset.
    Then do a full calibration. And see what happens.

I will try that....but I have replaced toner over and over until it was ridiculous and it didn't help. Why is it that the black is the one out of alignment? The 54.12 is the cyan density sensor, 54.11 is the black density sensor and the 54.10 is the black drim home position sensor. I son't know aht the 54.OF is. But the service manual gives 4 options for the "CPR Sensor out of range". 1 is to calibrate (no help) 2 is to verify if the cables are seated properly and the connector J1024 is making good contact with the DC controller (which I'm not quite sure yet how to do) 3 is replace the color registration detection unit (which I did and it didn't help) and 4 is to replace the DC controller PCB. Is this a common problem? Because it sure is strange that within a 3 year period I've had the very same problem with a brand new one from the factory and two refurbished ones.

Default HP 4650 3 printers same problem CPR sensor out of range

follow redcow's advise. 90% of color laser problems are toner in the sensor problems. clean the printers really good, especially all the cartridge related sensors (see below FYI notes). When you do calibration always do at least 3. I've had to replace a few color registration detection asm's but only 1 DC controller and not for that problem. Also use ALL HP or ALL 3rd party toner. NEVER mix and match. I use only OEM in my color test units, but I have customers who do. HP has designed their machines to change color quality when mixed with 3rd party toner. Dont forget to pull out the Jetdirect before you do the cold reset and you might want to leave it out until after you get the error to go away. Its always a good rule of thumb to disconnect and remove any optional equipment when troubleshooting a problem.

FYI: 54.7, 54.8, 54.9, or 54.10 error: Check the connections. Replace the drum-phase sensor for the indicated color. By the way the drum-phase sensor is the home position sensor and its located in the individual drum drive asm of the color. Try blowing that out.

54.11, 54.12, 54.13, or 54.14 error: Check the connections. Check the cartridge and replace it if necessary. Replace the color-registration detection assembly. After you replaced the color detection asm, did you still get the same error or only the 54.10? You may have more than one problem.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 02-10-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks prntrfxr. You know, the strange thing about this is that I've used oem's for the first printer that gave out, refurb's with the second in that gave out and switched companies with the third one using refurbs in it and it gave out, so they don't have the toner source in common and I never mixed oem's with refurbs. In answer to your question, the configuration page shows the same errors after replacing the alienation bars and the color registration assembly. With all 3 printers over a period of about 3 years apart, 2 refurbished units and one brand new from HP, you'd think it may be something I am actually doing to cause the problem. I just assumed there is a great list somewhere that shows the "common problems with the CLJ HP 4650 printer", but maybe not? I'll let you know what happens when I take your advice on checking the connections but it's not the color registration detection assembly or the cartridge. Thanks...

Hey, redcow....what is the purpose of removing the JetDirect (stupid question?)

When your printer performs a COLD RESET, EVERYTHING is reset. including the JetDirect. Pull it so that the settings don't have to be reset. And besides you want to troubleshoot with machine at minimum configuration.

Are you using HP toners?

ok....no refurbished.

sorry, I meant - I'm only using remanufactured toner cartridges now.