Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP 4650 3 printers same problem CPR sensor out of range

Had a couple folks with your exact same problem reporting mixed results when they "reset the calibration values for the DC controller". Maybe it will work for you...

Here's a description from the Service manual on how to do this:

Resetting the calibration values for the DC controller
    Performing an NVRAM initialization clears the calibration values from the formatter, but it does not clear the calibration values from the DC controller. If problems with color-plane registration persist after performing an NVRAM initialization, you should reset the calibration values for the DC controller.

To reset the calibration values for the DC controller
    1 Open the top cover.
    2 Press and hold the engine test switch on the left side of the printer for several seconds. (You need a pointed object to reach inside the small hole and press the switch.)
    3 Close the top cover, and observe the control-panel display. If the message Performing Calibration appears, the reset was successful.

After you reset the DC controller:
    -- Perform another Full calibration (may have to try full calibrations up to 3 times).
    -- Follow up with another Cold Reset.
    Last edited by cs_steve; 02-10-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks! I will try that and let you know. Any idea why that is happening on every 4650 like dominos? Also, when I did a cold reset on one of the printers, I was unable to use refurbished toner after that. Is that coincidence or is that one of the things that just will happen - and will the "disable cartridge check" clear that problem up?

O - M - G!!! I couldn't do the NVRAM so I followed your instructions for resetting values for the DC controller and it worked! Now I'll try it on the other printer and let you know if it works on that one also. THANKS!

Worked with the others as well. Thanks again. I've been fighting this for nearly 3 years altogether from the first printer to the third one.

:-) Glad it worked .... don't know why this reset works for some and not for others ... but it might be a combination of you having already cleaned sensors/replaced the color registration detection unit, and then following up with the reset ...
    Last edited by cs_steve; 02-11-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Actually, I only changed the Alienation bars and the color registration detection assembly in one of the three. In the other two I only did the procedure you gave.

Quote Originally Posted by cs_steve View Post
    To reset the calibration values for the DC controller
    1 Open the top cover.
    2 Press and hold the engine test switch on the left side of the printer for several seconds. (You need a pointed object to reach inside the small hole and press the switch.)
    3 Close the top cover, and observe the control-panel display. If the message Performing Calibration appears, the reset was successful.
    This worked amazing!!! Thank you for this, I searched for hours trying to find a cheap way to fix my free printer.

You likely saved me $100 in parts with this one post, which is why I had to create an account and wait the day for it to become active. I'd gladly donate $10 for the help!

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but it's still very relevant for me!

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
    This worked amazing!!! Thank you for this, I searched for hours trying to find a cheap way to fix my free printer.

You likely saved me $100 in parts with this one post, which is why I had to create an account and wait the day for it to become active. I'd gladly donate $10 for the help!

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but it's still very relevant for me!
    Thanks for the good words :-) We maintain this forum site to help folks out with printer issues and share knowledge; please keep our company in mind for any future printer parts needs. We carry pretty much everything for laser printers: compatible toner cartridges, maintenance kits, fusers, transfer kits, parts, and even complete refurbished printers. www.printertechs.com