Thread: hp 2420 loud noise after changing fuser

Default hp 2420 loud noise after changing fuser

I changed the fuser ,due to streaks on copies, on a hp 2420. The streaks are gone but the printer now makes a loud noise when printing. What could be causing this?

Do you have two printers doing the same thing?
    Put the original fuser in this one also.

Default hp 2420 loud noise after changing fuser

gears in the printer - since its you just replaced the fuser I would suggest the step red cow mentioned. If it happens when the fuser is in another printer I would say it's bad fuser. If the problem goes away its a different gear/s. I carry a repair kit with the following parts for such an occasion. I use a vendor that puts all of these parts in one kit that I can order with one part number.

(1) RU5-0377: GEAR, 28-TOOTH, FUSER DRIVE
    (1) RU5-0378: GEAR, 20-TOOTH, FUSER DRIVE
    (1) RU5-0379: GEAR, 19-TOOTH, FUSER DRIVE
    (1) RU5-0331: GEAR, FUSER, 29-TOOTH
    (1) RC1-3609: BUSHING, LOWER PRESSURE ROLLER, RIGHT
    (1) RC1-3610: BUSHING, LOWER PRESSURE ROLLER, LEFT

Well, I put the old fuser back in the machine, just to see, and the noise was still there. I don't know what the problem could be, but the noise is coming from the fuser area.

Question Loud Noise

Same thing here...I have a LJ 2430TN that has a "loud" rumbling noise when it prints. Seems to come from the fuser area but all the fuser gears look like new. There is a dusting of powder coating a bunch of "white" gears that appear to drive the fuser gears. I don't have another fuser to swap into this printer..any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks .....

Murphy

Looking at the fuser from the back of the printer. There is a spring on the lower left side of the fuser. It maybe putting too much pressure on the shaft above it causing it to fail.
    Install a new fuser. If the noise comes back, loosen the upper right fuser mounting screw just a little bit. This seems to work. This may work on the original fuser if it's not too far gone.

Got this from another tech who works at a site with a load of 2430s and 40s

Blog Entries

One thing to note with noisy fusers/gears in the 2400 series is the original bushings HP used on the fuser's lower pressure roller really sucked. They wear out very fast and cause the lower pressure roller gear to not mesh well with the other gears. The powder you see could be from the worn bushings. Make sure the fuser you get has bushings that are new or aren't worn out. This is one case where some of the aftermarket bushings we use are actually better than the OEM.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    gears in the printer - since its you just replaced the fuser I would suggest the step red cow mentioned. If it happens when the fuser is in another printer I would say it's bad fuser. If the problem goes away its a different gear/s. I carry a repair kit with the following parts for such an occasion. I use a vendor that puts all of these parts in one kit that I can order with one part number.

(1) RU5-0377: GEAR, 28-TOOTH, FUSER DRIVE
    (1) RU5-0378: GEAR, 20-TOOTH, FUSER DRIVE
    (1) RU5-0379: GEAR, 19-TOOTH, FUSER DRIVE
    (1) RU5-0331: GEAR, FUSER, 29-TOOTH
    (1) RC1-3609: BUSHING, LOWER PRESSURE ROLLER, RIGHT
    (1) RC1-3610: BUSHING, LOWER PRESSURE ROLLER, LEFT

Not the funnest job to do, but if you do a fuser and you still get the noise, this guy is right. I've done tons of these, very common problem with all 24xx.

there is a set of gears inside the delivery assembly but its hidden inside the machine and you have to take half the machine apart to get to the assembly screws.

I have found that the shaft that roates, inside that assembly thats on a little gear its bit like the gearing in a duplexer in the 4000 series its like in a bike brake operating.

The spring of that assembly I believe loses tension over time, and the shaft that the little gear gets sticky and that what causes the noise, This can also cause the fuser motor to jam.

I had a 2420n printer with the exact problem and corrected it that way.

And as Jeff said about the models, about the quality of the bushings thats very disturbing to know that the model having poor quality bushings, simply a design fault, fuser bushings simply not up to the designed purpose, printertechs.com is doing a good job with printer repair.
    Last edited by woodss; 11-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.