Thread: how to connect printer to 2 pcs?

Default how to connect printer to 2 pcs?

Hello,

I have looked everywhere for help with this very basic problem, and can't find the answer. Maybe someone out there will take mercy on me. I have two identical Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computers located approximately 12 feet apart. If I have a problem with one, I can work on the other until the first one is fixed. They are both connected directly by ethernet cords to a Netgear wireless router that is serviced by a Comcast cable modem. I have wanted to be able to use the same printer for both, and have gone through all the steps to set up networking between both computers ages ago, and nothing worked, I kept getting error messages until I gave up. Today I had to have a tech out to service the cable modem, and while he was here I mentioned the problem and he checked it out and found my Zone Alarm Security Suite anti-virus was not set to allow networking. He changed the setting and was able to connect the two computers. After he left, I went to print and nothing happens. (The printer, an HP 722C, is directly connected to computer 1, and is working properly.) So I went to the "add printer wizard" program on computer 2, and selected "connect to a printer on the internet or on a home office network". It asks for an URL, offering as an example, "http://server/printer/my printer/printer". WHAT??? How in the heck can I answer that? What do I do now? It won't proceed without an URL and I haven't the foggiest idea of what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty
    Last edited by dusty77; 04-20-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Alright, let's see...you have 2 Dell PC's trying to connect to a HP722c.
    Are you running DOS or maybe You've upgraded to Windows 3.1.

Well anyways if you would open up your 15 year old printer manual to chapter 5, page 47, it says:
     Recommended System Requirements:
    Windows 3.1x and Windows 95 Windows NT 4.0
    • Pentium/75 MHz CPU • Pentium/100 MHz CPU
    • 8 MB of RAM • 16 MB of RAM
     Allows MS-DOS® printing through Windows 3.1x and Windows 95
     Network printing not supported

Maybe you can check e-bay for a HP JetDirect auto switch (J4153A). . It allows two PCs to connect to it via IEEE 1284 cables and then your printer connects to the switch's 3rd port via IEEE 1284.

You now have 2 PCs and 1 printer connected to the JetDirect auto switch. You control which PC grabs the printer by pushing the select button on the JD box.

Another choice is to go back to e-bay and get another 722 printer. It can't be more than $15. The cartridges cost more than the printer.

Hello, Redcow,

Thanks for the reply. Now don't go and make me feel bad about my old clunky printers, LOL, I have 4 of them, all bought new, and they are the best and most reliable printers I have ever used. I know its pathetic, but I have had so many printers in the past that deviled me half to death, and when I found one that worked, I scarfed 3 more on sale, and still have 2 new in the boxes! I am running Windows XP on both computers.

I will look into the switch you mentioned. Again, thanks for the reply.

Dusty

Hello, again, Redcow,

I forgot to mention that I pick up printer cartridges on ebay for peanuts. I just don't have room to set up both computers with seperate printers, plus, when you do that, and seldom use the second printer, the ink dries out and you're replacing it nearly every time you need something printed. It would be so much more convenient to use one printer. And I use a 2007 HP laptop at the other end of the house, and it would be nice to connect through the wireless and access the printer for that computer too.

Thanks again,

Dusty

Lightbulb

Hi Dusty!

Since you mentioned you have a router, I suggest you get a print server so all of your computers can print through 1 printer.

Print server is definitely a great solution, just configure your printserver and all your computers will be able to use it.
    But make sure of the kind of print server that you will get, check if it supports bi-directional so that it can support other features of your printer like scanning and fax. but in ur case since its just a regular printer then any printserver will do.
    Last edited by ckthedestroyer; 04-26-2008 at 03:43 PM.