Thread: HP 4500 doesn't see Tray 3

Post HP 4500 doesn't see Tray 3

I have an HP laser Jet 4500 printer with a duplexer and an additional tray (Tray 3) installed. The additional tray is configured for letter size paper. Tray 2 is set to legal sized paper. Tray one is set to letter size and plain paper. Tray 1 is set to cassette in the settings, but left empty. When we send a print job for plain, letter sized paper to the printer, it halts and asks for paper in tray one.

When I go into the paper handling menu, I can configure tray one and tray two, but there isn't any mention of tray 3, so I can't configure it. The config page says that the paper size and type in tray 3 are unknown. Under installed options, the config page says paper tray 3 is not installed.

The power cord from the wall is plugged into tray 3, then the pigtail power cord (part of tray 3) is plugged into power inlet for the printer.

I have tried cycling the power countless times, I've lifted the printer off the extra tray and set it down again, I've restored the configuration settings to Factory Default. Nothing so far has made any difference.

Tray 3 was recognised and worked fine previous to being moved to another office. I moved it myself and nothing out of the ordinary happened. The printer is installed on a Windows 2003 Server and shared out. We are using the PCL version of the driver (another post about our problems with the PS driver later) and are able to set the configuration correctly through the driver, however, it doesn't resolve this problem. Putting paper in tray one results in flawless performance.

I'd welcome anyone's advice, thanks in advance.

if it is not listed on the configuration page then the printer is not recognizing it and it would be a problem with the connection between tray 2 and 3.the contacts on the housing are either bent or broken most likely.