Thread: Laserjet 5M - Paper Crinkles

Default Laserjet 5M - Paper Crinkles

Hi, after I clumsily cleared a paper jam, I'm getting a crinkled output on about 80% of the prints. It doesn't matter which tray is feeding the paper. Any ideas on how to fix this?

thx,

brad

Here's a scanned image of the crinkled paper:
    http://tinyurl.com/yxkauj

also, I took a picture of where the paper is entering the fuser:
    http://tinyurl.com/yhhpso

I can't see the 'entering the fuser' picture to well. Is it crinkled?
    If it is, it could be the registration assembly or the cartridge.

Well, the paper is distorted (not yet crinkled) as it's entering the fuser rollers. On the output side, I can see where the leading edge of the paper is bowed, so it can't do anything else but fold over as it moves through the rollers. when I inspect the rollers, I see some markings on the end where the problem occurs, so I'm guessing that cleaning this off might solve the problem? Here's a picture of that:
    http://tinyurl.com/y7gees

problem no mo'....

here's my take— since I was pulling on the paper out the back to clear the jam, I tweaked the soft lower roller in the fusing assembly. This caused a change in the shape of that roller, so the crinkled paper was due to a misfeed. With a little "exercise," the lower roller regained it's shape, so the misfeed resolved and no more crinkled paper.

Other than that, I really have no idea why it gradually fixed itself, but thanks for helping me along the way!

regards,

brad

Default Registration

It looks like the registration of the printer is not working properly and needs replacement.

And to do that you need to replace the whole paper input assembly.

However have you tried using tray 1 to feed the paper in if that is fine, then something in the paper path from tray 2 needs cleaning that is a lot better than replacing whole of paper input assembly.

look on this site about paper input assembly refurbishment.

Check if its not the paper tray itself doing that, by using another paper tray 2from a working printer, my money is on the paper registration assembly having a piece of paper or worn rollers on the registration.

if the paper is bowed before it gets to the fuser do a half way test to determine that, however if the paper is straight prior of reaching the fuser asseembly then the fuser rollers are worn "haddit" and fuser rollers need replacement.

Then also it can be gears inside the fuser that needs replacement along with the main gear train as well, I had a simliar problem with a LaserJet 4050 and it turned out that the fuser gears were not meshing with the gears properly and found some object between the gears that wasnt post to be there, removed that from the printer and reinstalled the fuser assembly and the printer is good as gold, that could be the case with your 5M the fuser gears arent meshing with the main gear train assembly and causing this problem.

check all those, and get back to us.
    Last edited by woodss; 11-23-2006 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by bbowens View Post
    problem no mo'....

here's my take— since I was pulling on the paper out the back to clear the jam, I tweaked the soft lower roller in the fusing assembly. This caused a change in the shape of that roller, so the crinkled paper was due to a misfeed. With a little "exercise," the lower roller regained it's shape, so the misfeed resolved and no more crinkled paper.

Other than that, I really have no idea why it gradually fixed itself, but thanks for helping me along the way!

regards,

brad
    Over time the problem will come back, you would need to replace the lower fuser roller, common problems with these fusers.

is it possible to purchase just the lower roller?
    Quote Originally Posted by woodss View Post
    Over time the problem will come back, you would need to replace the lower fuser roller, common problems with these fusers.

you can purcahse parts off this site or go on ebay and look for laserjet 4 plus / 5 fuser repair kits for your lower and upper rollers, I also suggest its may be best to purchase a new fuser for the printer.