PDA

View Full Version : Scanning using a laser multifunction printer and a WIRELESS print server

franzbonus
09-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Did anyone suceeded into SCANNING via network using a wireless print server? Lemme recap that in details: you must've been able to have a computer plugged to a wireless router (using RJ45 cable or wireless internet card, doesn't matter as long as you're plugged into the router), the router recieving a connection or stream from a WIRELESS print server, of course laser printer plugged into the wireless print server and finally, you send a scan to the printer and the printer returns the scan to the computer. http://fool.exler.ru/sm/lam.gif

I know it's possible to print using that setup (I'm doing it frequently), that's no problem. But I'm unsure about the wireless process of a wireless print server sending back a scanned image to the router... and then the router to the computer that requested... I'm interested mostly into Dell's 1600n and HP's 3030 to do my scanning and printing. I called both Dell and HP's support and even going through the question with HP saying I'd buy that expensive HP 380x print server, both companies said they are unsure about the result of recieving the scan... http://fool.exler.ru/sm/nzd.gif

rileymeboy
11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Hello,
The printer manufacturers and wireless printer server manufacturers that I have dealt with agree that when connecting a multi-function printer to a wireless printer server through a router causes you to lose scanning features used with your computer. Buried in some wireless server printer manuals, you may even find a statement like: " the only feature that is supported with this wireless printer server for multifunction printers is printing. " Bi-directional support may also be limited. For multifunction printers that you wish to use with wireless communications, I recommend MFPs with built-in wireless. Still, for MFPs, direct connect is best if you don't want to lose features. If anyone knows a good MFP-wireless printer server combo that maintains scanning features, please share. Thanks!

franzbonus
11-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your comment but I found already what you mentionned. In any case, I decided to go with the following configuration:

- HP Officejet 7410 for wireless color printing, scanning and faxing

- HP LaserJet 2420 for B/W quality printing (using my wireless print server I have already)

Except for the fact that it's a costy configuration, it's virtually a bullet-proof setup. Wireless scanning, wireless printing, cost-efficient B/W wireless printing (which is 90% of the home/office printing usually) and wireless faxing. Chosing a B/W laser (with no other functions) printer really is the best fix since you focus on the printing here and although it's accessible wirelessly, people really don't scan, fax or color print often. So really, it's the best setup I came up with. http://fool.exler.ru/sm/sumo.gif

digitally_amazing
05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
That sounds tempting though, it can cost me a fortune. But I think I wanna try it in coming days.

crashnburn
03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
SOHO or SMB MFP w Documents Feeding Tray to scan to PDF

I bought a Brother MFC-210C MFP for personal use an year and half back from Fry's during the Thansgiving Sale. Its served me well. Not that I was looking for a major amount of performance but I did not really bother to check if it was X ppm while printing.

Its scans were decent and I was able to get a lot done.

Now, I have used it a lot to scan expense receipts, hotel bills, travel expenses etc into PDFs, so that I do not have to keep the physical copies around for ages.

However, it was a little inconvenient to manually do one page at a time for scanning to PDF.

I want to get an MFP that can be a good, fast ARCHIVING tool. I need to convert a lot of old stuff.. Some notes from Grad School and a bunch of other things to PDF. I'd like people's suggestions on which MFP to get.

TOP PRIORITY Features Needed (Hardware / Software Combined):
- Documents loading tray for scanning multiple pages into a single PDF
- Decently accurate / fast and supporting multiple "scan TO configuration combinations" to allow PDF docs, JPEG Scans etc. (Software to make this easier)

Bonus:
- Decent printing speeds for B/W & Color
- Possible to get cheap non-OEM cartridges for printing
- Not overtly expensive

Please do let me know if you have any suggestions / recommendations