PDA

View Full Version : HP Printer Cartridge Numbers

gbtillies
08-07-2005, 01:32 PM
New to this forum so apologies in advance for any mistakes I make, and apologies for the length of this question.

We have just purchased a HP Deskjet 5740. The ink cartridge numbers that came with it are 339 and 343. My husband travels a lot to the States and has previously bought cartridges for my HP G85 over there (same cartridge number as over here) and was planning on buying some cartridges for our newly purchased 5740. However,looking at american suppliers such as COMPUSA, it shows the cartridge numbers for the 5740 as 94 and 95.

So, hubby emailed HP and asked them whether the 94 and 95 would be the same as 339 and 343. The reply he got has got us concerned.

They say

'HP is implementing a program to enable customization of printers and supplies products to better meet specific local customer needs. There will be different selectability numbers (ie HP 97 or HP 383) in each of four geographical zones in the world, and your printer will only perform when using cartridges for the zone in which the printer was designated for sale and use. You must use the cartridges intended for the country/region in which you bought the printer. The iinkjet print cartridges will not work in a printer from a different zone. However, you need modify your printer to match the supplies in the new zone.'

Is this true? Can they really do that? Surely the cost would outweigh any advantage?

My G85 printer currently has a two digit cartridge number, which is the same number as in the US. How are they going to change the cartridge so that it won't work on my G85?

Hope someone can help me and thanks for taking the time to read all that!!