PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 5M hangs at start

Odonota
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi,

We have an HP Laserjet 5m that now hangs at startup with the word "initializing" on the display. No matter what we turn off/on, disconnect/connect, remove or put back, this is always the same. Have tried cold restart and service mode - but no change.

Furthermore, it barely even sounds like it is starting up.

Any suggestions?

thanks

John

MichaelTech
02-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Does the main motor spin up? The laser spin up?
Error condition that does not get past the POST has an internal problem with one of these parts. ALSO: Pull the NIC, and start up. Check fan too.

Odonota
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
The first thing I tried was disconnecting the print server we have stuck on the back, and it made no difference. I don't hear a fan or much of anything else turn on, but there aren't any error codes, either. I'm not sure what POST means.

At it's age (5+), is it worth even taking it in for repair, or would replacing those things you mention not be cost effective.

Thanks for the help,

John

Brian
03-02-2005, 02:51 AM
POST means: Power On Self Test.
Hard to teel what's wrong, exchanging parts with another 5m would be a big help, but I suppose that isn't an option for you.

Odonota
03-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Believe it or not, it is something of a possibility as I have a HP Laserjet 5 (not 5M) that we just took off line because of poor printing problems (ink lines on paper). The plan now is to take them both to a local repair shop and see if between the two machines they can create one decent working one.

Thanks!

John