PDA

View Full Version : HP 4 Networking with Vista 64

BASchoen@cox.net
10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I need someone knowlegable who can confirm the proper JetDirect card for an HP 4 which has Vista 64 driver support.

My network is a home hardwired 10/100 system with two computers running XP and two running Vista 64.

From what I can gather on the HP support web site, the only JetDirect internal networking card which has Vista 64 driver support is the J2550A.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

BASchoen@cox.net
10-10-2009, 07:14 AM
I've spent additional time digging through the archives.

Moderator Jeff stated in one post "any JetDirect card will work with any computer that can talk to it with the common networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, Appletalk, etc.) "

I would interpret this to mean I do not need a special Vista 64 driver for the JetDirect card (or XP driver for that matter). I don't understand why HP has various OS driver downloads for each model JetDirect card...

I've tried the Parallel to USB cord but Vista 64 does not recognize the printer.

I'm really searching for an OS independent answer for networking my HP 4 and the JetDirect route seems to be the best solution.

Barry

BASchoen@cox.net
10-10-2009, 07:34 AM
One last question regarding my HP 4 networking with JetDirect.

Which JetDirect cards (if any) would offer a 100 mbps transfer rate?

I just read the J2550A has only a 10 mbps rate.

cs_steve
10-15-2009, 12:45 AM
For a JetDirect that fits the LaserJet 4 and operates at 10/100 speed you could use the J4100 ...

http://printertechsdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/hpjenecaj4.html

BASchoen@cox.net
10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I thought I'd post my final solution to networking my HP4. After talking with a most helpful PrinterTechs sales rep, I went with the J4100A. It arrived yesterday. Installation was simple. The PrinterTechs tutorial was a huge help in understanding the set up process, but to be honest, the HP Install Network Printer Wizard is really all that's needed. I had all 4 computers (mix of XP and Vista 64) printing in under 20 minutes.

A HUGE thanks to PrinterTechs!

Barry