PDA

View Full Version : New home office printer

Alice22
04-26-2009, 02:50 AM
I need to purchase a new printer for my home office and I would like something that has functions which are better for a home/small office as I am not familiar with printers. Could you guys recommend me something and tell me what function or feature does it have that might prove useful?

redcow
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
For a small home office setup, you should probably be looking at an all-in-one(AIO).
AIOs have print, fax, scan and copy functionality.

The questions that should be asked

Operating system (you need drivers that work)
Colour or monaural
laser or inkjet
and how much $$$$ can you spend
also, how many trees are you going to cut down a month

In the end we shouldn't make the choice for you. You are going to have to do some research and make comparisons i.e if you decide on an inkjet, then the cost of toner cartridges for the various printer manufacturers should be looked at.

cs_steve
04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
If you're looking for monochrome (not color) and you don't need built-in fax or scanning ... the LaserJet 4000, 4100, 4200 series are great small-office printers with decent print speeds, plenty of options like networking and duplexing, and relatively inexpensive toner cartridges ...
http://www.printertechs.com/refurbished-hp-laser-printer.php

prntrfxr
04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
I had an HP 1160. I used 1 cartridge in 1 year on the 1160. (Compared to constantly changing ink jet cartridges). The only drawback is it doesnt print color (for me, this is not a big deal and I haven't missed it). It was easy to setup and I've had no problems with it. I loved it so much I bought a 1320 so I could have duplex. I put the 1160 on another PC in the house. These machines are real small, faster than the HP 4000 series, and are excellent for home office or low volume printing. They dont have the formatter issues the P2015's and P3005's have. They do not have a display panel, which most techs hate because they can't see an error code, but if you have HP toolbox installed, it will tell you. If you're doing low volume I would definately consider it. If you're doing high volume, I would recommend HP 4200 series (even with the swing plate issues). If you're in mid-range, go HP 2300. Most people view 4000's as too slow nowadays, but they are still solid work horse printers with few faults when it comes to maintenance. Hope this helps you.