PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured consumables

printernovice
06-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I have an HP color laser printer and have always used HP consumables. Are remanufactured consumables like the drum kit and transfer kit advisable to use and possibly more cost affective?

prntrfxr
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
depends on the remanufacturer. if their chip emulation is really good and their product quality - ok. You will probably still have some issues occasionally, but overall cheaper. some techs swear by oem. I personally prefer oem - but I've worked with some really good reman techs that turn out good stuff and I work for a company that wants to cut cost, so we use them.

A word about colorlasers however, use all reman or all oem not both. they are not compatible. Chips HP uses have firmware that writes to the formatter built into them. if you use mixed cartridges you get light print and supplies counts erased.

use product ratings by user website to find good vendor - hope this helped you.

printernovice
06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
It is understandable that one should use all toner cartridges of the same "brand". However, I am most concerned currently regarding some of the “bigger” items like the drum kit, transfer kit, and fuser kit. Would these all need to be of the same brand as well.

You mention the following: “use product ratings by user website to find good vendor”. Could you point me at a website that has such user ratings?

ptjeff1
06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
www.resellerratings.com

redcow
06-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Buyer beware.....If you have a problem with your colour printer and you are using Brand X consumables, don't call HP for help, even if it is still under warranty.

I just billed a guy who was using Brand X cartridges in his 2840. He told me on the phone that "these cartridges are guaranteed to be HP compatible". Maybe, but when I got onsite I saw the cyan had leaked and caused the carousel gear, that was covered with cyan, to slipped a few teeth out of alignment. I had to bill him more than he paid for the printer.