PDA

View Full Version : LaserJet 4 Plus Paper Eject Problem

aoprods
01-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I just bought a used LJ 4+. When printing on letter size paper (have not tried any other) the pages are crumpled at the end if they exit at all. Does paper quality really matter? I used the same paper I was using in my inkjet printer. I could really use an owner's manual if anyone has one that can be emailed. Thanks.

ptjeff1
01-15-2005, 06:48 AM
The rollers in the exit assembly are probably worn out. I don't know of any users manuals being available for that printer, only service manuals.

edgar
01-15-2005, 01:25 PM
The fuser assembly rollers could be worn out as well. Cheers Try another one

ian c
01-15-2005, 03:47 PM
[What you have is the classic "accordian" symptom
It wont be the fuser, it will be the exit rollers. These can be replaced easily and cheaply
The solution called "rubber rejuvenator" also may help.
Kind regards
Ian

ian c
01-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi
the symptoms you describe are the classic exit roller problems

You need to either get new exit roller set or clean the rollers etc
Ian

Brian
01-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Cleaning or re-juvinating the exit rollers isn't such a good idea, the problem will come back soon after.
My supplier here in Holland has a special kit for this problom, it has the lower delivery roller (RF5-1077), the upper delivery roller (RF5-1076) and 4 Roller holders (RF5-0425).
This kit usually does the trick.

woodss
01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
its generally a good idea to change the rollers on a secondhand laserjet or any othe laser printer when you purchase it at over 100,000 pages because the rollers usually wear out around that figure.

I have myself have a four plus laserjet which is the M version which is for a Mac but I dont have a Mac computer I have the M Plus version for postscript and Network since I have a home network as well.

I usually change my rollers on the M plus every 2 years or 100,000 pages, I think the service manuals specs on the fuser of 200,000 pages is too high, I think you can get only 100,000 pages out of a fuser unit, I have heard people have had over 200,000 pages out of a laserjet 4 plus with no repairs done on it, this too me is running the machine to its death, laserjet 4 and 4 plus printers need check overs to make sure its working correctly.

There is still many of these printers being used in offices today, hewlett packard would like these printers to wear out and make us buy their plastic only rubbish and so called workhorses, these arent workhorses, hp laserjet 4 and 5 printers are the true workhorses, they are little slower than these newer ones in PPM.

Lets keep the legend of hp laserjets running and ticking, which is all time favorites HP LaserJet 4 and 4 Plus printers.

woodss
01-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Cleaning or re-juvinating the exit rollers isn't such a good idea, the problem will come back soon after.
My supplier here in Holland has a special kit for this problom, it has the lower delivery roller (RF5-1077), the upper delivery roller (RF5-1076) and 4 Roller holders (RF5-0425).
This kit usually does the trick.

I happen to agree with this post, of this Rubber Roller Rejuvenator doesnt work and regarded as useless rubbish, thats where the soultion comes from, it just creates more headaches and more stress on the scanner unit's PCA at the side because you have to aviod breaking this PCA while putting the output assembly back onto the chassis.

Ian and everyone else, I think you should ignore of this person's claims of Rubber Roller Rejuvenators because you cant repair rollers it will just put a layer on the roller and cause more problems on the printer.

There hasnt been any techincal proof that this does work, I also think about this site of his repair kits half of the fixes i think is made up from old printers as well, that this person has junked, this may shock all of you that this technician has no certifcates from hp or any other manufacturer no formal trainning, he doesnt read the service manuals to service, well I wouldnt want to bring my printer to him because of this, you cant trust a person with no license.

Which I think he doesnt have, a technician who doesnt read service manuals expect for troubleshooting is to me a dodgy techinician, you have to study the service manual and disassemble the printer while reading the service manual and get printers with common problems to be a technician and have the answer to the problem and think of a soultion this is to me a true technician someone who knows the answer to the problem.

I have posted in that forum as annoymous about my fuser unit and this person said that fusers of 4 plus printers dont use any grease, surely there is some lubrcation for the fuser assembly to keep it working or it would seize up.

Sam
02-14-2005, 10:22 AM
I have the same problem with crumpled paper. Where is the best place to get replacement parts in the Eastern US?

Sam
02-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I went a little farther and removed the "drum?" in the rear of the printer and it has chipped teeth. I guess this is the drum as it is similar to what my Brother printer called the drum. Where can I get this part or is it worth replacing as opposed to buying another refurbishid unit?

Thanks for any help.