PDA

View Full Version : X Phaser 6250: Help! Reset or bypass toner chip/tag??

RFaxMan
12-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Hello! Not sure if this should go here or in consumables, but the "answer" is more hardware/software in nature.

I have not been able to find this info here or on other forums so I don't think its already been discussed; my apologies if I missed it! (and please point me to it)

The Xerox Phaser 6250 Toners have a chip (or RFID? - don't know what technology is in there...) that the 6200's do not have.

My question -- Part A -- Is there a way to bypass (or RESET) the reading of this info when booting the printer so that I can refill my cartridges or use other almost identical cartridges made for the same engine?

Part B -- The Brother HL-4200cn & QMS Magicolor 3300 toner cartridges are identical except for small external "tab notches" in the toner housing that can easily be modified to fit, but is the toner ID/count device the same? If not, part A above applies to these cartridges as well.

THANK YOU!!
RFaxMan

Manuals
12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Part A- You can do a Google search for the toner chips, they are available.
Part B- Just because a cartridge looks the same doesn't mean that it is.
Contrary to popular belief, all toner is not the same. Toner for one machine may or may not work in another. Toner is formulated to be specific to a particular machine by its electronics and other characteristics.

HtH
Paul@justmanuals.com

RFaxMan
12-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks Paul.

I was looking for a way to BYPASS the chip reading (via service menus or some other work-around) as opposed to paying $15-$20 each (ripoff) for the chips.

Also, I am referring to units using the identical laser engine that DO use the same toner (powder), but different toner cartridges.

ptjeff1
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Just a thought, I haven't tried this on Xerox, what if you remove the chip (if it is accessible)?

RFaxMan
12-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks for your suggestion Jeff! Unfortunately that does not work.

If the units senses a cartridge present (via limit switch) but cannot read the tag, it gives an error message that the cartridge is not inserted properly or it is a defective cartridge.

There must be some hack to bypass this setup...

Manuals
12-14-2007, 10:08 AM
There must be some hack to bypass this setup...

If there is I doubt you're going to find it in the service menu's.

Paul@justmanuals.com

MichaelTech
12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. Sorry, i had to say that.
Most print problems stem from people trying to cheat in some way.
Color printing is not cheap, and using cheap stuff gets you just that.
Check a local print shop, and see what your printing jobs would cost.
You will find that by using proper consumables correctly {note use of word}
costs will be reasonably better. It would be a daunting task to try and educate all users in printing techniqes that help keep the cost down.
People are basically lazy, and left uninformed are the real problem in printing.:cool:

RFaxMan
12-29-2007, 08:58 AM
One of the points of tech forums is for people to share info on going beyond where the average user stops, or is stopped by the money-driven antics of the large corps. The lazy ones can skip these pages altogether and just pay retail prices of US$500 per toner set!!

Refilling toner cartridges, ESPECIALLY those that do not contain optical/drum components, is easy, reliable, and produces top output quality without risking damage to the printer engine or other hardware.

If you really think users should never push the boundaries set by the printer manufacturers then why participate in these forums? Just post "see your user manual or call the service number and get your wallet out"!! :confused:

loucapppozzoli
01-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Anyone know anywhere I can purchase some used 6250's fairly cheap? They would not have to be in great working order or have supplies. I'd like maybe a dozen for backup parts for our office machines.