PDA

View Full Version : Printer works but connection doesn't

Sheila
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm using Windows XP Pro (didn't update to SP2 yet). Nothing on my system has changed but my laser printer (ITEC LaserImage 1200) suddenly won't print. It will print a test page from the panel ON the printer but NOT from anything within Windows. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps. The only thing I haven't tried is reseating the LPT1 card and replacing the cable. I did delete and reinstall the LPT1. Is there anything else it could be beside the card and/or cable? It was working perfectly for several years and it just stopped. I've rebooted both the computer and the printer, it's not out of paper or toner. My computer is 3 years old. Is it possible the card and/or cable just died?

Thanks for any help.
Sheila

dmslevin
03-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Sheila,

Try some simple stuff that won't cost any money. It is possible the Driver became corrupted and needs to be reloaded. Go into device manager and check to see what is going on.
There is no point spending money on HW if it is a case of corrupted SW.
You already know the printer is fine as a test page printed.

David :)

JeffH
07-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Keeping it simple is good advice. However, doing a test print from the control panel doesnt test the printers interface.

If you have a MS DOS disk, boot from it and at the DOS prompt type...

dir >lpt1

Its an old trick.. but it normally works. If it does, then you should see the printer indicate that there is data present. If you typed that command a few more times, then a page would eventually print as long as the interfaces are working.

I would also check all the configuration settings within the printer.

Log onto your XP computer as the administrator and try printing then. (hopfully you arent using the admin login for everyday usage of the computer) If it works, then you know it has something to do with your profile. Make it simple and just delete your profile and recreate it.

You could also try removing the printer drivers then the printer port from the device manager... restarting and the reinstall the printer driver.

I know you Posted this in March, but someone else might want to have this info. Hopefully you have found the problem and its fixed.. If so, why not share the results with the crowd.

Jeff