PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a printer

RunMav
01-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi!

I'm in the midst of trying to buy a printer for an office, but can't decide if I want to buy an all-in-one printer or seperate printer and fax machines.

Can anyone help me decide:
1. Is a laserjet better than inkjet?
2. I was under the impression that HP is the best brand. Is this the case for all-in-one as well?
3. Are all-in-one printers better/worse than stand alone printers
4. An all-in-one printer needs to be on at all times for fax reception right? Will this dry up ink leaving on all the time?

Criterias for choosing:
-Will be doing couple thousand pages at least every month
-Total cost should be below or around $600, I see alot in the $400 range.
-Reliability :)

I did a search and didn't see anything on this, so hopefully this is not a double post. :)

Thank you for all your inputs!!!

RunMav
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Anyone? :)

Strider
02-02-2007, 12:46 PM
1;Laserjets are more expensive to buy and less expensive to run.
2;HP does not have as good a reputation for all-in ones as it does for Laserjets
3;As a general rule all-in-ones do not function as well in a particular mode as a standalone printer or fax.
4;An ink jet fax machine will use ink while it is on.
Conclusion;I would suggest an inexpensive Laserjet for your printing needs.As to fax machines,I would suggest an inexpensive fax from your local office supply store.If you are doing more than 50 or so faxes a day,I would go for a more expensive fax which,when added to your printer,would throw you over your capital budget.P.S.On the fax,I would purchase an extended warranty.

woodss
02-07-2007, 02:22 AM
I do not like 3 in 1 machines, I prefer them seporate in case a part of the 3 in 1 dies.

I very much prefer my office stuff seporate for that reason.

I recommend a good quality inkjet or a mid to high end range of secondhand laserjet.

I would a few years ago recommend a LaserJet 4 or 4 Plus.

I would recommend a good used low usge HP LaserJet 4000 / 4050 or 4100 thats all I use for my printing, for color I have a color laserjet 4500 for high volume and a Business InkJet 1200D for general applications, and a deskjet 5550 for photos.

gowestover
02-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree with what Strider and Woodss have stated.

One thing about HP Laserjet 4000 series - i.e., 4000, 4050, 4100, 4200, etc., man, are they reliable! It's been several years since the 4000s and 4100s have come out. I work at a large financial institution and this particular location has many floors of a large building - over 800 users. We're getting in the new Lexmark printers, but there are still HP laserjet 4000s, 4050s, and 4100s that we were using from 5 years ago. They just run and run... and are very easy to do maintenance on. If I were going to buy a laserjet printer for myself, I'd get a used 4100n and be done with it.

I think the 3-in-one units are just too complicated for their own good.

Just my opinion for what it's worth...

ptjeff1
02-11-2007, 04:39 PM
As for the fax machine, you might consider an online faxing service like send2fax.com or others. There are many advantages to these services but they might cost a little more if you do a lot of faxing. The nice thing is that you get pdf files of the incoming faxes in your email inbox. You can save the attachment and always have a copy of the fax.

easyinns
02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi!

I'm in the midst of trying to buy a printer for an office, but can't decide if I want to buy an all-in-one printer or seperate printer and fax machines.

Can anyone help me decide:
1. Is a laserjet better than inkjet?
2. I was under the impression that HP is the best brand. Is this the case for all-in-one as well?
3. Are all-in-one printers better/worse than stand alone printers
4. An all-in-one printer needs to be on at all times for fax reception right? Will this dry up ink leaving on all the time?

Criterias for choosing:
-Will be doing couple thousand pages at least every month
-Total cost should be below or around $600, I see alot in the $400 range.
-Reliability :)

I did a search and didn't see anything on this, so hopefully this is not a double post. :)

Thank you for all your inputs!!!

you might try a easyshare 5500 all in one by kodak.they will be ready the 1st of march.ink cartridges will be arround 14.00 for each.