PDA

View Full Version : HP LJ 4200 lould clunking noise when starting up or printing.

leigh.cocker
01-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Hello
We have a LJ 4200n with a duplex module attached.

When the printer is turned on there is a loud clunking noise coming from the back of the printer. There are no errors on screen and the printer continues to print as normal. I have removed the duplex module and I have also removed the Fuser unit, I then reseated them and turned the pritner back on, The clunking noise still happens.

The clunking noise is coming from the back of the printer.
I have reseated both the fuser and Duplex module.
The noise is coming from the back of the printer.
The printer prints as normal
The noise happens whilst printing or turning the printer on.
There are no paper jams.
I have removed all paper trays.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with the printer and which parts I need to replace ?

Many Thanks

Leigh Cocker.

redcow
01-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Gee, could it be the dreaded "swing arm assembly"?
When you pulled out the fuser did you see a pile of 'dirt' under the fuser gears over on the left side?

I've got a part number for the "swing arm assembly(I spelled the word out both times)" gear out in my car. I'll post it shortly.

redcow
01-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Gear for 'swing arm ***'y'

(I didn't spell it out)

RM1-0043

leigh.cocker
01-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi There.

Yes there was a mountain of dusty paper on the left hand side !

Do i need to replace the swing arm assembly ?

Brian
01-26-2007, 03:44 AM
The 'mountain of dusty paper' is most likely shavings from the gear that drives the fuser, you'll need to replace that, it's much easier to replace just that gear than the whole swing plate assembly.
You can acccess the shaft that the gear is on by removing the side panel and the formatter cage.

leigh.cocker
01-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Are there any screen shots of how to do this ? Can I buy the gear only or do I have to purchase the whole assembly ?

thanks for your replies.

Manuals
01-26-2007, 08:29 AM
here is a link to the easy method of replacing the gear.

This method is much quicker than the method posted on the partsnow website. (which I have posted on my website at http://www.manuals4you.com.free

Paul@justmanuals.com

redcow
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I left you the part number RM1-0043