PDA

View Full Version : laserjet 4100n false 13.1 paper jam

happy
01-11-2007, 02:32 AM
This printer intermittantly will display the error 13.1 paper jam, there usually isn't a paper jam. I open the cover and close it and the printer will continue printing. The problem appears using tray (2) - primarily uses tray two! The rollers have been changed, but the problem persists. I didn't see any obstructions. The printer has printed 130172 pages since its last maintenance. The printer page count is 350097. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

redcow
01-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Change the rollers in tray 2. It's not picking up the paper. Therefore the paper is not reaching the sensor in its alotted time and it thinks there must have been a jam.

MichaelTech
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
The error is for the first sensor flag the paper gets to. This is in the feed assy. that is behind the MP assy. It is typically overlooked, as well as the registration assy. You may just have a lot of paper dust in the sensors.
Use canned air to blow out these. 1}Open top cover and remove the toner
2} Open the MP tray {front door} Remove the white plastic insert that has the green arrow on it. On the right there is a green arrow curved down. Press down. It will open a flap inside the printer.In the middle will be a flag. Blow air into it.
3}Lift the registration flap up, and roll back the segmented metal covering white rollers. Blow into the flags there.
Replace the four "D" rollers, as well as the separation roller just near the front
Replace the tray roller as well.

woodss
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
what michael tech is saying there is a 2 sensors on a assembly. one under the registration assembly and one in front of the paper feed assembly, you can do it that way or take them out to clean them properly or to replace them, however this sensor assembly is hard to get too, because its sandwiched between the paper module, engine module and where the engine controller assembly is.

I have in fact gained access to this assembly it takes a while to get the printer to just split the printer apart with the engine and paper modules.

the 4000 and 4100 engines look similar, however they are different printer engines and not interchangeable.

back to ur question make sure the sensors you see them running freely.

redcow
01-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Happy, change the rollers. And write back.

woodss
01-16-2007, 04:03 AM
it says in the manual check sensors PS102 and PS103 to make sure these arent stuck.

PS102 is the pre feed sensor and wat this does it dectects if the paper has successfully exited the paper tray, it can happen if these are stuck it can cause a false jam.

it also says as the other guys say, check the rollers for wear.

Look at the diagram below:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h148/woodss/image004.jpg

Brian
01-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I believe the original poster said that the rollers have already been changed.
13.1 is very often caused by the Separation clutch (RB1-8974 next to the lower roller), you can either replace it or open it up and remove some of the filings.
If the separation clutch is too 'strong' it will push the paper back, look at the back of the printer to see if the paper gets pushed back, if it does the problem is the clutch.

happy
01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi There,

Thanks for all of your responses. Yes, as I had stated the rollers were changed. Brian, I will try the Separation clutch - Thanks. Woodss, I will try the sensors PS102 and PS103 - Thanks. It appears that the problem is pickup, but all rollers - pickup and seperations were changed. I noted the pickup appears to drag in the paper tray against its housing - put I don't see what could be causing that (only one roller fits right?).

Strider
01-23-2007, 03:14 PM
In the 4100 there is a sep roller in the tray,a feed roller just above it in the printer and 4 pick-up rollers(half-moon) behind the feed roller.

happy
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Yep, all of these were replaced: sep roller in the tray,a feed roller just above it in the printer and 4 pick-up rollers(half-moon) behind the feed roller. and the problem persists. I was able to print 50 copies after tearing the printer apart and replacing these items and inspecting gears and assemblies...