PDA

View Full Version : LaserJet 4M+ error 41.3

casey
10-28-2004, 02:53 PM
My problem is with our LaserJet 4M+ used in a computer lab on a school campus. Started out with error 41.3 occasionally but now happens continuously. Replaced the pick roller and it was better (but not gone) for a couple of months. This printer has heavy usage and is at least 8 years old and has a page count of 479,000. I have thoroughly cleaned it, and switched paper trays with another printer. It has never had any maintenance and our I.T. guy says he doesn't know what's wrong with it. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has on what may need to be replaced in order to solve this problem. Thanks!!

Placebo
10-28-2004, 04:14 PM
The most common cause for that is the selector knob on the lower sheet feeder getting set to a size that doesn't match what is actually loaded in the paper tray. Example would be having letter size paper loaded in the tray and the selector knob is set to legal or A4 or something other than letter. Turn it back to letter and the error goes away. :D

casey
10-28-2004, 04:48 PM
I had read that suggestion before, but can't find any knob or anything to select paper size for the paper tray. It only holds 8 1/2 x 11 size paper. Can you tell me where to look? Thanks!

ptjeff1
11-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Well, at 479,000 pages that's one heck of a lot of use for not having any maintenance! It's a real testiment to the durability of the laserjet 4+. If it truely hasn't had any maintenance you should install a maintenance kit and also the input feed assembly is probably worn out. 41.3 errors are an unexpected paper size which can be caused by worn parts. You might just want to replace the printer because with that high of a page count your exit assembly is probably worn out, and the main gear drive assembly might need rebuilding.

casey
11-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jeff! That's what I really wanted to know - if it's just worn out it would probably be more cost effective to replace it than try to fix it. It certainly has been a very reliable printer!

ian c
12-02-2004, 07:28 AM
wHY NOT TRY AND REPLACE THE INPUT ASSEMBLY. WHOS TO SAY THE WHOLE PRINTER IS WORN OUT.

zydeco
12-02-2004, 09:10 AM
you can also see HP's service bull. BPL90193. Also when the LJ4 series first came out there was an issue with this and hp told us to replace the paper clip in the paper tray. P/N RA2-1999-000cn

Hope this helps
Zy