PDA

View Full Version : laserjet 4 paper jam

lwljck@adelphia.net
01-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a laserjet 4 that jams behind the toner cartridge. the output rollers at the top of the printer also are not turning.

redcow
01-09-2007, 11:20 AM
What's the fuser like. If you take it out of the printer, can you turn the gears by hand?
Also make sure the toner cartridge isn't bound up.

MichaelTech
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey! Ya'll forgot about the delivery assembly! Check the large white gear on the left side that is driven by the fuser. Cant get just the gear, but the part number for the assy. is:RG5-0456

lwljck@adelphia.net
01-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I just took the Fuser out and found a broken gear on the right side facing the side that inserts in to the printer. the gear is on the roller that heats up.
Time for a new Fuser assembly ?

Thanks for all your help.

redcow
01-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Good work....do the easy stuff first.

woodss
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey! Ya'll forgot about the delivery assembly! Check the large white gear on the left side that is driven by the fuser. Cant get just the gear, but the part number for the assy. is:RG5-0456

I have not worked on these printers for a while, so I made a mistake however yes that can cause the problem, you can just replace the gear and clean the bushing on the fuser assembly the bushing is what holds the upper roller.

however what causes this to happen is that the main plastic black gear does get weak over time, and its much cheaper to just replace the gears of the fuser and clean the bushing, it does however takes a while to rebuild the fuser assembly, but its well worth it.

However care must be taken while doing this, if you not confident, just simply replace the assembly which is more expensive and more than the printer is worth, however if you replace the fuser and clean the printer up it will last longer than most newer printers.