PDA

View Full Version : HP 1022 weirding out

DRC
12-25-2006, 08:38 PM
I've had an HP 1022 for a little over a year and have been using it to print proofs of a semi-annual magazine I lay out, as well as other types of proofs, Internet stuff, envelopes, labels, etc. The first thing I do with a new printer is open my page layout program, either Pagemaker or InDesign, open an 8.5x11 page with 1/2" margin guides, draw a 1pt line around the margins making a box and do a test print to check for alignment. The 1022 has always produced well-centered prints but a while back it began printing off center...up and to the right 1/8". Same page/printer settings, nothing's changed. I'd be interested to know what may have caused this.

I also began noticing it started printing everything darker and heavier, most noticeable in text. I have two HP 12A cartridges and tried them both with no difference.

THEN.... tonight, using a fairly new HP toner cartridge, I started printing some proofs and the first print came out light with a huge vertical feathered white area the length of the page with nothing on the right side as if that part of the image was missing. The next was worse. I stopped the job and tried printing a blank page, using just a period on the page so it'd print from Pagemaker. The first came out mostly black with serious banding. The next had intermittent bands of black and gray. The next was nearly totally black. I then did a half self test and there was absolutely no image on the drum....only a mass of toner. I also noticed the paper wasn't nearly as hot as normal upon exiting the printer. There's no back door on the 1022 to check the fuser, but looking inside with a flashlight, it appears to be clean. But that may not mean anything, I don't know. All I know is this printer is useless now.

Any thoughts as to what's happened?

Thanks,
DRC

woodss
12-26-2006, 08:18 AM
it looks like your fuser needs to be replaced, regarding your alignment issues, only thing I can think of is a issue with registration, I see those printers is like dispoasble printers, quality printers like the older printers are much better.

I really think with the stuff I have heard about these newer mid range printer models arent so realible as the older workshop printers.

DRC
12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks, woodss. You're right about these low-to-mid range printers being disposable. I had my reservations when I bought it, and now I know. I have an HP 4 Plus that lasted about 12 years before starting to show signs of fuser problems, which is why I got the 1022. I would have simply replaced the fuser in the 4 Plus but I wanted 1200 dpi and a bit more speed...and USB connectivity.

When I got the 4 Plus, I used it exclusively in my graphics business (at the time, there was no such thing as a quality inkjet), but with the emergence of quality inkjets, like I said, I only use a B&W laser for small, personal things, so don't need a $2,000 printer. If a client needs a presentation proof, it's always done on my Canon i960.

I just got a Samsung ML 2510 for around $100 U.S. that does an excellent job for my needs and is faster than the HP 1022. It'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

DRC

woodss
12-26-2006, 01:57 PM
my personal laser printer is two 4050Ns with duplexer and 500 sheet bins and I have replaced a fuser on it last august and replaced rollers, i use to use a 4M Plus printer with duplexer and lower bin and that printer is in my work shop, sometime down the track iam going to put one of my 4050N printers in the shed and retire th 4M plus, i also have a old series ii laserjet which i use for service sheets and shipping labels and a 4500 color laserjet for color work, and business inkjet 1200 for the house for color printing after hours.

stuart.

woodss
12-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks, woodss. You're right about these low-to-mid range printers being disposable. I had my reservations when I bought it, and now I know. I have an HP 4 Plus that lasted about 12 years before starting to show signs of fuser problems, which is why I got the 1022. I would have simply replaced the fuser in the 4 Plus but I wanted 1200 dpi and a bit more speed...and USB connectivity.

When I got the 4 Plus, I used it exclusively in my graphics business (at the time, there was no such thing as a quality inkjet), but with the emergence of quality inkjets, like I said, I only use a B&W laser for small, personal things, so don't need a $2,000 printer. If a client needs a presentation proof, it's always done on my Canon i960.

I just got a Samsung ML 2510 for around $100 U.S. that does an excellent job for my needs and is faster than the HP 1022. It'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

DRC

in my views throw out the 1022 and repair the 4 plus at least they are more soild, samsung printers in my views worst than the 1022, i really hate the newer printers plastic rubbish, just enough to put a brick though the plastic rubbish printers, the manufacturing of printers after 2001 has nothing but just falling apart, like ur 1022 that thing just fell apart.