PDA

View Full Version : hp4250dtn XP Driver configuration

ozinm
12-21-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi all,
Hopefully this will be absurdly easy and I'm missing something very obvious.

I've just replaced our old (and rather battered) HP4000DTN with a brand spanking new 4250.

The old printer had the following tray configuration:
Tray1: Unspecified, Unspecified
Tray2: A4, Plain
Tray3: A4, Letterhead
Tray4: A4, Recycled

I'd like to set this up on the software printer settings on the new printer but there doesn't seem to be a NT Forms tab.

The closest I can find is in Printing Preferences however when select a tray, paper size and paper type, it applies those setting to every tray - not just the one I selected.

I've tried swapping drivers (PCL5,PCL6,PS) and they all seem to do the same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

All help hints and spelling corrections gratefully received.

M.

leah
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
The NT forms tab is no longer put in the driver. The same thing can be accomplished on the printer. Use the paper handling menu on the printer to tell it what paper type is in each tray. This is done by pressing the Green check mark button, press the down arrow until you highlight paper handling then press the check mark again. From this menu you can select each tray and set the paper type that is in it. When users print they only need to choose what paper type they would like to use and the printer will automatically print from the right tray.

woodss
12-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Try using the new printer with the old 4000DTN drivers and see what happends I gurantee you it will work.

Because the printer is backwards compatible.

Well if your old 4000 is old and battered, thats because you have not been looking after it, I have a 4050DTN printers two of them and they are like brand new, it depends how you treat them, my 4050DTNs are over 5 years old and they look like they came out of the box yesterday, one reason they are cleaned and maintained.

Same way with a car if you dont maintain it, it will work really bad.

ozinm
12-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the tip about the driver.

I agree. The 4000dtn was here before I was and thats been 9 years! They're fantastic machines.

ptjeff1
01-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Here's another thought, Windows XP has built-in Microsoft drivers for many printers that are different from the drivers you can download from hp.com. If you haven't already tried downloading drivers from HP, try that.

ozinm
01-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all your help.
I've now gone with woodss' suggestion of using the old 4000DTN drivers.

Works a treat if you don't need to use any of the printers new functionality (which I don't).

All the best

M