PDA

View Full Version : Laserjet 1000 mystery of the crackling tape

lhancock
10-19-2004, 08:17 AM
forgive me for the lack of technical terms and names as I dont know much about printers. I'm the network admin here at a small business and get called for every problem.

This time is was the laserjet 1000 making strange crackleing noises when it was printing. After closer inspection it looked like small bits of brown and grey packaging tape where getting caught up in the exit rollers. I figured it was just something that fell in there as the cieling was being replaced that day. cleaned the bits out and called it a day. Well a few days later it presented itself again. along with a vertical line on the sided of the paper. With no change after replacing the toner and determined to figure out what someone did to my printer I took it in the back and began an autopsy. It turns out its a roller in the fusing unit that is slowly working its way to the left. Its seems to be made of out teflon. the bits of tape we were seeing are parts of the roller that are being shred off as it travels off center and grinds against the side of the housing. I have a new fuser on order and i'm guessing a simple replacement will solve the problem. the printer is only two years old and is mainly used for printing checks and odd other jobs (not much use). any idea what could have caused this?

oh, also when I was taking the printer apart I noticed a small button on the back just below the parallel cable. I'm assuming its a reset of sorts, am I correct?

thanks.
________
vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/)

Placebo
10-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm not that familiar with that particular model but it sounds like you are on the right track. That is a personal printer so if it is being used in a business that might explain the pre-mature wear on the fuser. I think the average duty cycle for those is 1k pages per month with a max of 7k per month.

The small button is likely for the DC test print.

David
10-20-2004, 01:22 PM
This printer uses a fuser sleeve instead of a fuser roller. If there was a jam in it, sometimes pulling it out tears or disfigures the sleeve and it starts tearing. It may not have anything to do with the age of the unit! Sleeves themselves are available to rebuilt fuser units, but you should have it fixed with the part you ordered! David