PDA

View Full Version : Half Self-Test

annectent
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm fairly new to understanding laser printers.
In part of a training course for the A+ certification, it asks a question about what kind of test would show the condition of the pickup rollers, the registration rollers, the laser scanner, charging roller, the EP drum and the transfer roller to see if they're working correctly.
The answer is a "Half Self-Test".
I have an HP 4V. I looked in the Service Menu and the Test Menu and can't find this specific test.
Is this something that's an option on a HP 4V or is there another test that it does perform that will accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

redcow
10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I work on a lot of different laser printers and I have yet to see anything called "half self test".

Besides, I could probably stick a bad roller(feed, pick, transfer you pick it) and the printer would probably work, maybe not consistantly, but maybe just for that self test that you are running.

That being said, I would probably run "self test"(the whole one) with the continuous option. 20 sheets should tell you if its going to fail.

Strider
10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
The "half self-test"is where you run a self test and stop the paper before it enters the fuser.By looking at the unfused page and the remaining image on the drum,you can narrow down the possible problems with such things as transfer,wrinkling and print quality issues.

BirdShot
11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Just to follow what Strider said - you would run a test page and when you think the sheet has made it approx. halfway through print engine, you'd stop the printing by openning a door.

BS

chetan
11-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Follow "Strider". he is right.

ptjeff1
11-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Lots of spam has been posted to this thread, thank you for reporting it. I've been deleting it almost every day for the last week. Users that spam the boards are automatically banned. New users are now required to check their email and activate their account with and Activation ID included within the email. This should reduce the number of bots hitting the boards.

Phil S
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
annectent

Just a little more info on this for you;

The half test is used to determine where some of the print problems may lie. Here is an example of using the half test to determine where "ghosting" or "double imaging" problems can occur.

Regards,
Phil

Use your MP Tray (multi-purpose) as a paper source. (It's easier)

Lift the top cover open to stop the print just as the end of the paper disappears into the printer. (this stops the paper before getting to the fusing area.)

Remove the toner cartridge.

Inspect the print. (the toner will NOT be fused to the paper)

If the ghosting is there on the paper, it's your toner cartridge. If it is not, then it is your fuser.

woodss
12-08-2006, 06:30 AM
The "half self-test"is where you run a self test and stop the paper before it enters the fuser.By looking at the unfused page and the remaining image on the drum,you can narrow down the possible problems with such things as transfer,wrinkling and print quality issues.

That is so very true, however I would like to discuss that further :)

it is most effective if you print from the manual tray and lift the printer's toner cover, when its half way into printer, firstly this is userful i troubleshoot problems between toner cartridge and fuser ghosting and lines down page caused by scraches on either fuser film / upper roller or photoconductive drum, ghosting with that is caused by a worn wiper blade, nearly always.

Also if the print is okay before it reaches the fuser assembly, and print quailty issue when the page exits the printer, then the fuser is damaged, you can replace just the roller / flim but I recommend which the heater or roller gets replaced along with the fuser bulb and cleaning of any heat sensors above the older style halogen bulbs, metal roller based fusers.

As for toner cartidges you need to clean the printer fully making sure there is not anything going to damage the new cartidge, usually people has staples on a piece of paper and thats a big no no, it could short out parts of the printer too.