PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice on laser printer

greenmonkey
10-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi All,
I am looking to buy a laser printer to print CD covers/booklets.

Lots of my friends have small bands, I have been making websites for a few years and have started to be asked to design CD covers and booklets.

I am trying to find a printer that will produce professional quality prints and have a budget of about 1000 Dollars.

I don't need any extras, like fax or scanner...I just want to get the best quality I can for my money! =)

My questions are:

1: Is a laser printer better than an inkjet for CD covers?

2: What sort of printer resolution should I look for?

3: Has anyone a suggestion for a brand or a specific printer?

Thanks!

Strider
10-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't know of any laser printers that are capable of fusing the toner properly onto a CD/DVD.However,there are many inkjet printers that do a good job.I would recommend something like the Epson R300.This will put an excellent quality image onto your CDs,and it is cheap enough that you could afford lots of ink for it on your budget.My recommendation would be that you buy it from someplace that offers an extended warranty as these have the normal mechaniclal problems with the ink system as well as the superior print quality of most Epson inkjet printers.

Strider
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
I guess I didn't see that you were talking about covers.For laser color I would recommend one of the new HP color laserjets.You could get one for 4-6 hundred dollars,which would leave enouigh in your budget to replace the supplies(once).The quality is very good,and they are far more dependable than HPs previous models.