PDA

View Full Version : HP LaserJet 4 Plus problem

Weston
10-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I bought my printer 12 years ago for $1500. It has never been serviced or cleaned (blushing...). I use it daily (est. 50-100). This problem has grown worse with time. I now print one page at a time to avoid accordion-pleated jams. But even one page at a time is a problem.

Printing begins, the sheet moves up the back but gets stuck at the top and fails to proceed through the slot and out the front. When I pull the page out, the bottom three inches have two or three waves (what's the word?). The printer automatically reprints the page each time this happens, so I waste 3 or 4 copies of the same page over and over again.

1. What might this be?
2. Because of its age, is this printer worth having repaired? Money is definitely an issue.
3. What current HP printer is on a par with the LaserJet 4 Plus?

Thanks.

AprinterTek
10-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a delivery assembly maybe at fault. Try opening the rear paper exit to see if your page will exit without jamming. If this works you might check the exit rollers....if they are turning, gummed up, slick....good luck
hope this helps

redcow
10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
If the delivery assembly rollers arn't melted, try lifting the assembly off the printer(you must first remove the cover), put the assembly in the sink and scrub it down. Let it dry and restall it.

Probably the "face down delivery assembly" has to be replaced.

After 12 years it's almost due for a PM;-)

Weston
10-07-2006, 04:13 AM
If the delivery assembly rollers arn't melted, try lifting the assembly off the printer(you must first remove the cover), put the assembly in the sink and scrub it down. Let it dry and restall it.
Probably the "face down delivery assembly" has to be replaced.
After 12 years it's almost due for a PM;-)

Thanks. What's a PM? Prime Mainenance (or something like that)? If you were having the problem I described, and if you were a non-mechanically inclined female who wouldn't consider taking her printer apart... : ) would you probably take it to an HP certified place like Computer Hut (in my vicinity) for a service job phone-estimated at $300, or would you more likely think of getting a new printer?

Strider
10-09-2006, 09:06 AM
PM stands for preventive maintenance.The phone quote you were given was for a fuser replacement.The part you actually need for this problem is an upper delivery roller(part # rg5-1076).Even if they replace both upper and lower delivery rollers(recommended),the price should be at least 100$ less than they quoted.The current replacement models are the 4000 series.The base models run about 700-800$ and with extra trays,duplex and network card runs about 1400$.By the way,if you've been running it as hard and long as you said,then the fuser is probably near the end of its life.

lynlog
10-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Strider was correct with diagnosing the problem. You should have a printer repair company replace the upper & lower output rollers ( rg5-1076 & rg5-1077 ). The fuser probably needs replaced also. Once you have this done, it will probably last another 12 years. This is one of HP's best printers ever.

fordon
11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I agree, I too have a 4+ and its about 10yrs old.
It has printed maybe 80,000 pages and has never left my farm, it has never even been serviced! Just replaced toner regularly.

My theory was to buy a good printer and offset the capital cost by a lengthy trouble-free service life, and it has happened!

The only hassle is it didnt have extra memory fitted.

Greetings from Tasmania!