PDA

View Full Version : LaserJet 5P clicking noise (Tray 1 feed?)

rclarkin
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
After adding additional memory to my LaserJet 5P, it started making a clicking noise whenever the gears were turning (it sounds like a plastic/nylon gear is slipping). I'm wondering if in the process of removing and replacing covers that something wiggled out of alignment, but I'm really not sure.

Paper still feeds fine through the printer, both from Tray 1 (manual feed) and Tray 2, but the sound can't be good. All of the items that I found through Google pointed to paper jam issues, which I'm not currently having (although the cause may be similar). I don't have the user manual for this printer. I do have the HP Quick Reference Service Guide, which covers this printer, but it only shows a part breakout (diagram w/part numbers).

Do I need to replace the Tray 1 feed roller/assembly? If so, where can I get instructions on doing so (and the part, of course) at a price that won't break the bank? I've read that the printer needs to be disassembled/reassembled in a particular sequence, which has made me leery of just starting to disassemble the printer without instructions (I'd like to see if the feed assembly can be reseated to fix the problem prior to ordering a part that I don't need). Instructions, ideas, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!