PDA

View Full Version : HP 8150DN Duplexer problem

Don
06-28-2006, 08:44 AM
When attemping to print in duplex the paper fails to feed through correctly. It is stopped in the same place each time. The paper is about 1/2 through the back end of the duplexer with the the bottom of the paper hiding between the outer plastic casing and a metal base plate. This is normal to my understanding.

The owner of the printer has two 8150DNs and told me that he swapped the duplexers between the two and that did not solve the problem.
These two printers see heavy duty due to the number of contracts that are produced during the summer months. This is a time critical repair for my customer so any help is greatly appreciated.

Please note that single sided works just fine and I have done a printer path test to confirm both results.

ADDED I pulled up the event log and it shows two recurring errors, 13.1 and 13.20. paper feed 1. paper late jam and duplex path. paper late jam respectively

Thanks for your help.

Don Rinear
don.rinear@littlerock.af.mil

Budman007
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Make sure the media is isn't the problem, also be sure to test the duplex units yourself, sometimes non technical people say they do and maybe try, but can get them mixed up. Also, it might be a timing issue like a sensor that is causing it to stop, does it print if you remove the duplexer unit? I noted your email....is that military in LR? Let us know what you found.

Don
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Bud
Thanks for the suggestion. I had gone over to our main office with the suspect duplexer to try it in their 8150. All worked fine.....

We had purchased two Maintenance kits for other 8150's that were calling for them so I borrowed one to try on the 8150 with the duplexing problem. Tried the Fuser as it is the only item in the kit that is that far along the paper path. The printer now works fine. I though it might be a fluke so I let the printer 'chew' on a 40 page document. Each page came out perfect. The Fuser I removed had 97122 pages on it, well short of the 350,000 recommended for the Maintenance kit. Changed all the rollers after that.

I am in the AF here at Little Rock AFB, actually located in Jacksonville 25min North of the city of LR.

Budman007
06-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Those fusers usually don't last as long as they say, I work with (6) 8150's and know them well. We have one that actually lasted 4.5 million copies total before we scraped it for parts, so they are durable. We have two right now with over 2 million each on them and they run great. You will use input assemblies every million or so and they are a pain to change out the first time. So I guess if your in the AF, then your not working for a tech company in LR...I am in Batesville, so not too far from you.