PDA

View Full Version : 4L prints multipage documents on same sheet of paper

JerryR
05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I have an old HP LaserJet 4L on a home network. The printer is connected to a machine running Win2K. Whenever I try to print a multi-page document from another machine on the network, it prints a single sheet of paper with all the pages overstruck on it. Why is this? The other machines on the network are running XP, but the same thing happens if I print from the 2K machine the printer is connected to.

I'm running the PCL driver I obtained from HP's website. I tried a PostScript driver but the printer just prints PostScript commands, so I'm assuming it doesn't support PostScript. However, it does print the PostScript commands on multiple sheets. I used to run 3.1 on the printer server machine, and it worked then, but I had to upgrade to Win2K for other reasons.

Any suggests of how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jerry

JerryR
05-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Update:

I discovered that typing the following from a command prompt:

type test.txt > lpt1:

prints on multiple pages. Printing the same file from notepad.exe prints on the same page. Both of these were done on the print server computer. I also tried disabling "Advanced Features" to no effect.

Help.

JerryR
06-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Here's an update. After trying everything else I could think of, I started installing drivers that were for printers whose names share most of the letters in common with my printer. When I got to the LaserJet 4mL driver, I found it actually worked. Documents now print on multiple pages. Don't know why, but at least it works. Hope this helps someone.

-Jerry